Aidex Voices

Dirty water is responsible for more deaths than any other form of violence. A shocking 663 million people lack access to clean drinking water, every 90 seconds a child dies from a waterborne illness. A combination of poor infrastructure, corruption, lack of education and poverty all fuel the world’s water crisis.

The past few decades have seen an overwhelming sum of money invested in drilling wells. While these efforts have significantly increased access to water around the developing world, millions of children are still dying from waterborne diseases, because access to water does not necessarily mean it is safe to drink. Water-wells often become contaminated and river water is rife with bacteria. Even clean water is frequently subject to recontamination during transportation and storage.

To resolve this widespread issue, the organisation TivaWater is committed to bringing safe drinking water to the most vulnerable communities with their revolutionary filter. The TivaWater team work in Uganda and Guatemala has provided an effective, durable, long-lasting and affordable safe-drinking solution.

Bukasa Community in Uganda

TivaWater provides filters to communities all across Uganda, including the north where many refugees reside having fled from conflict-zones. In October 2017, TivaWater distributed 220 filters to families in a community located outside Kampala, called Bukasa. Bukasa comprises around 3,000 families, 80% of whom are of Rwandan origin, mostly from the Hutu Tribes; a group who originally fled from the Rwandan civil war to the Congo in 1994 and then went on to reunite in various refugee camps in Uganda.

Around 80% of residents source their water from a tap which is unsafe and requires boiling before drinking. The remaining 20% collect water from an open well. Boiling is expensive and families often struggle to afford the coal needed, leaving children particularly vulnerable to waterborne illnesses.

TivaWater delivered an initial 220 filters to Bukasa to see if they worked for the community, meaning an estimated 2,200 people now have access to safe drinking water. Residents’ health has improved, as typhoid, cholera and diarrhoea rates have decreased. The filters are now used in family homes making clean water accessible, as well as saving time that would have been spent going back and forth from a well. The solution is also cost-effective for members of the community who now do not need to spend money on wood to boil water, or pay for medicines to treat waterborne contracted diseases. Best of all, the water tastes good!

TivaWater have pledged to continue support to the Bukasa community. At present, 170,000 people drink from a TivaWater filter across both Uganda and Guatemala.